AMPO is a 501c4 non-profit. This designation allows us to lobby for the policy positions that we craft with our members, in the interests of all MPOs. In SAFETEA-LU, AMPO successfully lobbied for the PL increase. We know that the next reauthorization is not about a “single win,” and have been working with our Board, the member driven Policy Committee, Hill Staff, MPOs, and Associations in order to craft a metropolitan vision for the future.
- Access to archived and current policy materials drafted by the AMPO Policy Committee on the future metropolitan vision.
- Legislative tracking and regular updates on all Congressional items relating to transportation systems and metropolitan planning.
- The opportunity to hold a seat (MPO members) on the AMPO Policy Committee. This Committee is the liaison between the AMPO Board/Staff and the MPO Community.
AMPO is recognized as the leader in providing technical expertise and assistance to the MPO community. The member run Technical Committee is working to define the planning practices that lead to development of good systems. The three AMPO Work Groups, Travel Modeling, Air Quality, and Operations, each meet twice a year to share their expertise, network, learn and advance the MPO technical community.
- The opportunity to hold a seat on the AMPO Technical Committee or one of the three Work Groups. AMPO members who regularly participate receive a $300 travel subsidy when attending a Work Group meeting.
- Technical assistance from AMPO Staff as needed for any transportation related inquiries.
AMPO offers the best tools and resources for MPOs seeking to gain knowledge in any facet of the metropolitan planning field. The AMPO Annual Conference is quickly becoming known as the premiere event for MPOs to learn and network. Sessions are taught by experts and offer a combination of presentations and hands-on learning.
- Discounted rates at Annual Conference.
- AICP credits offered at a discounted rate for workshops approved by the American Planning Association.
- Advanced notice for special AMPO workshops that have limited space.
AMPO offers online, email, and print resources. aMPO eMAIL, our bi-weekly newsletter offers pertinent updates in all areas of metropolitan planning and is subscribed to by over 1,200 transportation professionals. Our website is full of surveys, policy archives, and events.
- Free employment posting